Neighbor Engagement Specialist
Scope & Purpose
The Neighbor Engagement Specialist is an integral part of the Resident Care team. The primary role of the Neighbor Engagement Specialist is to enrich the lives of the neighbors at Community First! Village through the development and facilitation of events, classes, groups, and other activities that bring purpose and build community among the neighbors. The Neighbor Engagement Specialist will collaborate with Mobile Loaves & Fishes’ (MLF) vast network of volunteers, civic and business groups, and service and healthcare providers to build on the existing programs while creating new activities and opportunities for residents dedicated to their physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Assistant Director of Resident Care. Due to the nature and requirements of the position, hours are flexible to fit needs, but typically include 9 am - 6 pm Monday-Friday. Some nights and weekends may be required. The Neighbor Engagement Specialist will office at Community First! Village located at 9301 Hog Eye Road, Austin, TX 78724.
Please attach a cover letter and resume to the application. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop, coordinate, and facilitate events, classes, groups and other activities for neighbors of Community First! Village
- Seek feedback from neighbors about their needs and interests regarding engagement, activities and involvement in the community
- Incorporate neighbor feedback and ensure their voices are heard
- Discuss barriers to participation; devise plans to revise activities to remove barriers and strengthen participation
- Cultivate a community environment and encourage neighbor led activities
- Review existing community building activities and events for areas of improvement
- Engage with neighbors on a regular basis; build deep and meaningful relationships
- Develop and implement a system to track neighbor engagement as well as a way to recognize those who are actively participating
- Develop, enhance and maintain relationships with businesses such as the YMCA, bowling alleys, sporting venues to provide activities at discounted rates
- Participate in and assist the leadership on the men’s and women’s retreats
- Organize and facilitate the Community Council; empower neighbors to take on leadership roles
- Foster a climate for residents to volunteer and to “give back” to the community and care for their neighbors in the Village
- Enhance the existing programs for music and art to encourage greater participation; develop new and fun ways to showcase the talents and gifts of the residents
- Work closely with and steward volunteers involved in neighbor engagement
- Build and strengthen the “BeFriender Program,” which seeks to introduce and match residents to volunteers in hopes of establishing long term friendships
- Develop and implement ideas that could hire resident contractors and empower neighbor leaders in the community engagement process to give them greater ownership in the Village
- Collaborate with The Gathering and other stakeholders to host spiritual events, such as memorials for neighbors
- Collaborate with the MLF Healthcare Navigator to assist in planning health and wellness programs such as health screenings and fairs, chronic disease management classes, walking and biking clubs, group sports, nutrition and wellness classes, first aid and CPR training
- Ensure confidentiality for neighbors
- Prepare, monitor and adhere to a budget for monthly community engagement expenses
- Attend regularly scheduled staff and Resident Care team meetings
- Assist in the goal of caring for neighbors
- Assist Resident Care leadership and other departments as needed
Other Duties & Responsibilities as needed
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Commitment to serving those who have experienced homelessness and personal alignment with MLF’s vision, mission, core values, and goals
- The successful candidate will be passionate and knowledgeable MLF’s vision, mission, core values and goals
- Proven professional experience in community engagement preferred
- Strong organizational skills; detail-oriented
- Skilled in Google Suite, Microsoft Suite and Canva
- Experience with Salesforce is a plus
- Excellent customer service and people skills
- Ability to greet the public in a cheerful and helpful manner
- Strong aptitude for problem-solving
- Positive attitude, interest, enthusiasm, team player, good sense of humor, and stamina
- Ability to work joyfully and connect with diverse populations and organizations
- Demonstrates integrity and strives for excellence in her/his work
- A collaborative spirit and ability to work well individually as well as part of a team
- Action oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Good listening skills
- Must have patience, compassion, and professionalism
We empower communities into a lifestyle of service with the homeless.
We provide food and clothing, cultivate community, and promote dignity to our homeless brothers and sisters in need.
The vision is supported by core values centered on our belief that homelessness is the result of a profound, catastrophic loss of family:
God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life
By virtue of being created by God in His image, we are all called to live in community and relationship with Him through each other
The family is the original cell of social life
You shall love your neighbor as yourself
All members of the human family are equal in dignity
The Lord God took the man and settled him in the Garden of Eden to cultivate and care for it. Gen 2:15
Transform the way people view the stereotype of those who find themselves homeless
To reconnect the homeless to self, family and community
Help the chronically homeless rediscover and utilize their God-given talents to do purposeful work
To connect human to human, heart to heart through the fellowship of food and hospitality
Inspire people into a lifestyle of abundance by giving their best first
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : ""
Experience Level : ""
Job Function : ""