Scope & Purpose
The Volunteer Coordinator is an integral part of the Stewardship team. The Volunteer Coordinator will work to fill the volunteer needs of our programs as we steward relationships with individuals and groups who desire to serve with us. This role will focus heavily on the administrative communication and coordination needed to ensure an excellent volunteer experience. At MLF, our vision is to empower communities into a lifestyle of service with the homeless, and the Volunteer Coordinator is on the front lines of bringing this vision to life.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Volunteer Manager. Due to the nature and requirements of the position, hours are flexible to fit need, but typically include Monday thru Friday, plus Saturday mornings, consistent with our volunteer opportunities. The hours are somewhat flexible throughout the week to accommodate Saturday morning requirements and will be determined with the Volunteer Manager. The Volunteer Coordinator will office at Community First! Village located at 9301 Hog Eye Road, Austin, TX 78724.
Submission of both a cover letter and resume are required for consideration of this role. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Update and maintain volunteer opportunities, descriptions and communications, to ensure an enjoyable and safe serving experience for all volunteers
- Manage and coordinate volunteer group requests, scheduling and communicating all necessary information with group liaison
- Welcome, orient, and check-in volunteers to Community First! Village (CF!V) daily, with a spirit of hospitality and stewardship.
- Screen and match individual volunteers to organizational needs within MLF and opportunities at CF!V based on their talents and passions
- Maintain accurate information within the volunteer database system on a daily basis, and generate monthly reporting of volunteer statistics for program managers
- Provide support to current and potential volunteers as they navigate our volunteer portal and calendar
- Assist Volunteer Manager in recruiting new volunteers and cultivating relationships with existing volunteers
- Respond to a high volume of volunteer inquiries in a timely manner, through email and phone
- Maintain an organized record of individuals & groups interested in various volunteer activities
- Maintain all necessary calendars that are associated with volunteer scheduling
- Coordinate field trips to CF!V with strategic school partners, including working with the group’s liaison and recruiting residents to host the field trips
- Manage Eagle Scout projects, working with scouts to identify project needs, and overseeing the planning and execution of projects
- Work with other student groups, like Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts on special student projects
- Coordinate and support CF!V residents who host volunteer and tour groups
- Assist with generating content for the quarterly volunteer newsletter
- Work with the Safety Learning Team to deepen our commitment to a culture of safety and stewardship for our volunteers and visitors
- Assist with volunteer recognition and appreciation, including thank you notes to groups and individuals
- Assist in the planning and execution of the annual Volunteer Appreciation event
- Work with Volunteer Manager to recruit, manage and steward volunteers for events at Community First! Village; attend and assist with events & activities as needed
- Assist the Volunteer Manager in recruiting and training the hospitality volunteer team
- Attend staff meetings and other meetings deemed necessary
- Other duties as necessary to fulfill the mission & vision of MLF
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
Commitment to serving those who have experienced homelessness and personal alignment with MLF’s vision, mission, core values, and goals
The successful candidate will be passionate and knowledgeable MLF’s vision, mission, core values and goals
- Experience in scheduling, organizing and coordinating groups of people preferred
- Experience in hospitality preferred
- Solid educational background or at least two years of relevant work experience preferred
- Excellent and persuasive public speaking skills; present self and organization to the community in a positive, sincere and professional manner
- Ability to remain poised under pressure
- Strong organizational skills; detail-oriented
- Must be an efficient and effective communicator, especially via email
- Experience working with Salesforce preferred
- Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work, and has experience leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact
- A grateful heart: always thanking our volunteers and never taking lightly the work any volunteer does
- Must be proficient in the use of technology, including Salesforce, Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Mail and Drive, Wordpress and Dropbox
- Strong relationship builder with experience engaging community partners
- Comfortable teaching others and giving guidance
- Ability to make decisions and manage projects in a changing and fast-paced environment and anticipate future needs, even when limited information and resources are available
- Good listening skills
- Neat, clean, and appropriate appearance
- Must have a valid driver’s license, current liability insurance and reliable transportation
We empower communities into a lifestyle of service with the homeless.
We provide food and clothing, cultivate community, and promote dignity to our homeless brothers and sisters in need.
The vision is supported by core values centered on our belief that homelessness is the result of a profound, catastrophic loss of family:
God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life
By virtue of being created by God in His image, we are all called to live in community and relationship with Him through each other
The family is the original cell of social life
You shall love your neighbor as yourself
All members of the human family are equal in dignity
The Lord God took the man and settled him in the Garden of Eden to cultivate and care for it. Gen 2:15
Transform the way people view the stereotype of those who find themselves homeless
To reconnect the homeless to self, family and community
Help the chronically homeless rediscover and utilize their God-given talents to do purposeful work
To connect human to human, heart to heart through the fellowship of food and hospitality
Inspire people into a lifestyle of abundance by giving their best first
These Guiding Principles are the basis upon which MLF team members make decisions, plan strategies, and interact with each other and our community. The principles define the kind of leaders we are striving to be.
Yes, and…Positive Attitude
Semper Gumby (flexible/adaptable)
MLF is a faith-based organization with its ideals and philosophy coming directly from the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
MLF is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen based on ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetics, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation in accordance with federal and state law.
It is important for all applicants to understand that Mobile Loaves & Fishes is an essential business that provides food, shelter, and other necessities of life for our neighbors who have experienced homelessness. We strive to joyfully maintain these essential services to those that are most in need in our community. All employees of Mobile Loaves & Fishes are expected to work onsite to maintain the essential functions of the organization. All applicants should be aware of our essential business classification before applying for open positions.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Not Applicable
Experience Level : Not Applicable
Job Function : Administrative, Community & Social Services, Education, Operations, Support