The Leadership Service Committee is providing you an opportunity to give back!
MoveOutATX is back in full force after a 2018 Pilot Program and looking for volunteers to help accept items from students on behalf of participating reuse organizations to keep good stuff out of the landfill and off the curb!
With multiple days, locations, and shifts - you're sure to find a time to volunteer and help at a Donation Station. Shifts last 2.5 hours, and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is preferred (though not required). As a thank you, MoveOutATX will be providing cool-it towels to volunteers and discount stickers that will get you perks at local businesses (includes free tacos, queso, frozen yogurt, discounted yoga, and more!) Water refills and snacks will also be available at your check-in headquarters location.
- Click "Register for Event" then "Register" where you'll be redirected to MoveOutATX's GivePulse registration page.
- Select a location.
- Croix Condo Headquarters
- Spider House Headquarters
- Escala Condo Headquarters
- Find a shift. Shifts are split out between days and then timeslots. Click the green "Register" button and follow the instructions to complete registration.
- Available Days
- Saturday, July 20th
- Sunday, July 21st
- Friday, July 26th
- Saturday, July 27th
- Sunday, July 28th
- Wednesday, July 31st
- Be sure to read through the description carefully so you know what to expect. You can also contact the organizers directly through the GivePulse platform with any questions.
Over 12,000 students live in West Campus - the neighborhood directly west of the University of Texas at Austin. Each July, a significant volume of material is abandoned on the curb or near dumpsters when students move. MoveOutATX is a collaborative community effort to set-up donation stations to keep gently used items out of the landfill and off the curb during summer move-out. Established in 2018, the program is facilitated by the City of Austin in partnership with the UT Office of Sustainability, Keep Austin Beautiful and the State of Texas Alliance for Recycling. Stations are staffed by community volunteers and the items are directed to over eight local reuse organizations.
- Help accept gently used items
- Hand out ‘perks’ stickers to individuals dropping off items
- Count the number of drop-offs
- Proactively promote the cause within the vicinity of assigned station and engage with students moving out and heading towards dumpsters
- Coordinate with Croix Headquarters when a pick-up is needed at your station
- *Please note* Items received at stations are for the participating reuse organizations.
- This volunteer opportunity is outside
- A tent for shade will be provided
- Please dress appropriately for the weather (closed-toe shoes, sunscreen, sun protection)
- Bring a refillable water bottle
- Bring your own gently used items to drop-off if you wish!
- Free volunteer parking will be available at Hardin House: 2207 Rio Grande St, Austin, TX 78705 during your shift times. If possible, please consider taking sustainable transportation options such as busing, biking, or walking to your volunteer check-in station.
- Street parking may also be available closer to the station for a fee